Article by Loyiso Pulumani
The Department of Education and the Labour Unions represented in the Provincial Education Labour Relations Council (PELRC) signed a collective agreement no.1 of 2012 on the 13 June 2012, in pursuit of stability in education delivery in the province.
The thrust of the Collective Agreement is the urgent reappointment of temporary educators whose services were terminated in December 2011.The collective agreement further seeks to implement critical aspects contained in the Memorandum Of Agreement (MoA), which was signed between the Eastern Cape Government and COSATU officials on the 8 February 2012.
The Department of Education in implementing the collective agreement 1 of 2012 has taken the following step going forward:
- The department is currently developing an implementation plan to effect the re-appointment of the affected temporary educators
- As part of that implementation plan, those temporary educators whose services were terminated in December 2011 not re-appointed as yet, should report to the District offices not later than 22 June 2012 before 12h00 in order to be registered by the Department for possible re-appointment
- The core essence of the Collective Agreement is to improve learner performance and achievement; thus the Department and SADTU have agreed to facilitate and enhance effective teaching and learning with the following:
- To allow all temporary educators to participate in the learner support programmes including the current winter schools for Gr 12
- To participate in the implementation of CAPS in 2013 and its concomitant training to be held during the upcoming Winter Vacations as conducted by the EC DoE.
- ANA, as priority of government, and education in particular, temporary educators will be part of ANA preparations and implementation in September 2012.
- SADTU, as part of the recently held Education Indaba declaration, commits its members to be part of the drive to improve education service delivery by supporting the initiative of the Department of education in this regard
- A special STANCO meeting has been convened for Friday, 22 June 2012 to rectify the implementation plan regarding the CA 1/2012
It is this positive spirit of cooperation that tomorrow, the PELRC will be convened to further refine implementation of Collective Agreement on Appointment of Temporary Educators.
Issued by : Eastern Cape Department of Education
Enquiries : Loyiso Pulumani (083 275 0675)
Article Tags: agreement, education delivery