Admission to Grade R
Grade R is the first year of the foundation phase of outcomes-based education at public primary schools. It is meant for children of four-and-a-half to five-and-a-half years old. Parents and guardians should register their children at a school before the cut-off date, between August and October, of the year before the children are to start.
Steps to follow
- Apply before the cut-off date between August and October.
- Register at a school near you.
- Submit a birth certificate and immunisation card, or transfer card and last school report for learners who have been to school previously.
- If the child is not a South African citizen, also submit
- a study permit;
- a temporary or permanent residence permit from the Department of Home Affairs; and
- proof that you have applied for permission to stay in South Africa.
South African Schools Act, 1996 (Act 84 of 1996)
One day to six weeks.
School fees vary from school to school.
Forms to complete
Application forms are available at schools.